Hay Farm House was built sometime between 1897 and 1910. Due to the lay out of the property we are unable to provide any ground floor accommodation. We are sorry but we lack facilities for guests with severe mobility limitations.
Traveling by car we are easily accessible from the A1 or A697.
The nearest railway station is at Berwick upon Tweed approx 11 miles from Hay Farm. The Station is on the main East Coast Line and has a good service from Kings Cross to Edinburgh and beyond.
Newcastle International Airport is the nearest - approx. 60 miles with Edinburgh Airport being approx. 75 miles.
Access to Hay Farm House
· We enjoy an elevated position that affords us spectacular views. Obviously being on a steep hill the grounds are uneven and slope away from the house. The property has a tarmac drive from the road with a 5 bar gate at the entrance. This gate is normally open. The only time it is closed is if there are livestock movements along the lane adjacent to us.
· There is ample parking at the front of the house. At the moment this is on a grassed area with a slight slope but there are plans to make this a 'grasscreted' area. There is a wide tarmac path up to the ground floor entrance.
· There is a flight of 3 concrete steps up to the front door. There is no handrail The usable width is approx. 4 feet, with risers 6 to 9 inches and a tread from 19 to 24 inches. There is a final step of 9 inches rise into the vestibule. Entrance from here to the reception hall is level via a half glazed door of 3 feet width.
· The guest's sitting room, dining room and stairs are all off the reception hall with level access. The entrance hall and dining room have wooden floors with large rugs. The guest's sitting room and stairs are fully carpeted. There is a large rug in the sitting
Access to Bedrooms
· The staircase has 20 stairs leading from the reception hall to the first floor landing. Here there is 180º turn to the bedrooms.
· Each stair has a 6 inch riser and a 10 inch tread. The handrail support is on the left-hand side.
· All bedrooms and the emergency exit are accessed from this level first floor landing. Bedrooms, En-suites & Bathroom.
· All bedrooms have level floors with fully fitted carpets.
· The centre ceiling light rocker switch is on the left as you enter the bedroom at a height of 3 feet.
· The en-suites have level access from the bedroom, the bathroom has level access from the first floor landing.
· They have cushion floor vinyl flooring
· The en-suites have shower enclosures with electric showers (with flexi-hoses) and a tray height of 7 to10 inches.
· The bathroom has a deep bath inches from floor to top of bath. There is an electric shower (with flexi-hose) over the bath.
· Taps in room 1 bathroom are cross tops, room 2 & 3 have lever taps.
· Room 1, 3 and the bathroom toilets have flush handles, room 2 a push button
· All other fittings are standard.
· There aren't any wall mounted grab rails in the en suites.
· The bathroom has grab rails over the bath
· Room 1& 2 en-suite has a rocker switch for the light outside the entrance door at a height of 36 inches.
· Room 3 en-suite has a pull cord for the lights to right as you enter the ensuite.
· The bathroom has a pull cord for the lights to right as you enter the room.